Thursday, May 5, 2011

Asylum Week 2

It's been a few days since I've posted on here, so before I go into my Asylum workouts from the second week, I've got a few notes from the previous weekend. Last weekend, I had the opportunity to officiate both lacrosse and hockey games, so I got to see how this training is affecting my games. I noticed with the hockey that my core strength had improved and I was able to hold a better posture on the ice during my stride. I also noticed some improvement with my ability to jump up on the boards when the play had come towards me and I am unable to get out of the way of it and hold myself up there for extended periods of time. With Lacrosse, I noticed slight improvement in my speed running. I also noticed a little bit more endurance in the legs, since I was on the field for 6 hours. It may have been the first week of Asylum, but improvements are being made.

I started week 2 of Asylum going into it with an open mind. I know the moves now so I should be able to better keep up with the workouts. And thats exactly what I did. Asylum: Strength was a good workout this week, I went from the 20lb dumbbells to the 30's for most of the workout, except for the hip extension work. I was also able to do a couple wide-fly pull-ups before I had to use the dumbbells to finish. My favorite moves in that routine come at the end with the chest and ab work.

Another big improvement came from Back to Core. I was able to get my mind set correct and push through the pain that my shoulders were in and fight to hold the positions the best I could. I was also able to do the reverse plank work a lot more effectively this time around. With this workout, its all about form and having the right mind set. Don't be hating on Shaun T, just embrace the workout.

I finally got my video camera out and did a bit of footage for Vertical Plyo. I'm super happy that I got the jump rope issue figured out, half way through, I shortened it by about 4 inches and it finally works. I was thinking that maybe I just wasn't agile enough or coordinated enough to use it, it was getting frustrating. I made that adjustment, and I was able to keep up during the second half of the workout. Although I still need more work on the double jumps. Speaking of which, this active recovery is no joke! You work really hard doing a few moves, and then you hop on the jump rope and you get the legs on fire. Shaun says that your going to get a lot of lactic acid building up in your legs, and that is really the case, you have to embrace that burn. Enough on that, here is my video...


As a final thought, keep in mind that the real work doesn't begin until you are already tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment